Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:16:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        clefevre@citeweb.net, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic running linux binaries from ext2fs

> I guess the problem is here. if the Linux binaries aren't branded,
> and not run from /compat/linux, FreeBSD run them in the FreeBSD
> kernel space, not the Linux kernel space. since the syscalls are
> differents...

Ok, I've copied the Linux /mnt/bin to /mnt/brand and branded them.
And running the branded version (again from ext2fs) produces the same
panic.

It's not a branding issue.  I asked about this on -emulation several
months ago.  Except for static binaries, branding has not been
necessary for quite some time.  For dynamically-linked binaries, the
Freebsd loader can identify the binary type from how the binary asks
to be loaded.  You can even mis-brand binaries, and all you'll get is
an Abort trap, certainly not a panic.

No, I don't think it's a simple misconfiguration problem.  I've run
the Linux versions of emacs and netscape, and everything runs fine as
long as all the files are on UFS.  But moving the binaries to ext2fs
produces a panic.

--Mark