Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:22:51 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        rg@gds.de
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kvm_read: bad address

Hi,

>I am running the SMP kernel on a 3.0-970124-SNAP system and a
>Gigabyte GA586DX Dual motherboard with 2 x P5 / 200 MHz and 96 MB
>RAM. The machine runs mostly OK for several days. Only under heavy
>load it breaks down quite immadiatelly. It seems that there is a
>problem with swap. Some apps cannot be started and show the message
>kvm_read kvm_read: bad address". One of these apps is "dmesg".
>
>This occures very irregularly, mostly quite after booting. Some
>minutes later (in case the machine is still running ;-)) also dmesg
>works fine again.
>
>The same environment works very steadily with the GENERIC 970124-SNAP
>kernel.

---
>Can it be a bug in the SMP kernel or is it because of the differences
>between the SNAP and the kernel version? Or do I have some
>misconfiguration in my kernel?

this is the board I use, with 64MB, no such problems.
no one else reports this ERROR, *probably* not a bug.
could be the differences between -current an SMP...
kernel config looks ok...

I don't see a MAXMEM in the config for > 64MB.  might try removing memory
so you have 64MB or less.  might also try setting the BIOS for 70ns just
for testing purposes.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD