Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:25:48 -0400
From:      Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>
To:        Rob Lahaye <lahaye@snu.ac.kr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scanner HP 5200C: can someone please help me? I'm lost!

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:50:21PM +0900, Rob Lahaye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an HP 5200C scanner, attached over USB.
> OS is FreeBSD 4-Stable.
>
> In the kernel configuration file, I have this for usb support:
> device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
> device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
> device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
> device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
> device          uscanner        # Scanners
>
> Recompiled everything etc. etc.
>
> Now I'm trying to get through the information on this scanner & FreeBSD.
> I'm quite familiar with managing FreeBSD, but here I'm totally lost.

Have you installed Xsane? If not, I recommend it. Of, if you prefer
some other GUI, there may be one bundled with Gnome or KDE. Then, you
should read the docs for Xsane or whatever GUI you choose. The docs
for Xsane will point you to Sane, and its docs, so follow those
pointers. I have one of these x200c thingies, and they do work with
Sane/Xsane.  Or at least, mine does.

You can check here for your scanner:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends.html

> I get this:
>
> # sane-find-scanner
> [...]
> found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device /dev/uscanner0
>
> # xscanimage /dev/uscanner0
>
> pops up a dialog that says
>      "Failed to open device '/dev/uscanner0'. Invalid argument".
>
> # xscanimage
> [xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
>           different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
>           detected by sane-find-scanner (if appropriate). Please read
>           the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
>           manpages).
>
> In various manuals (too many talk about linux only) I learn that
> "I should configure/tell the kernel about the vendor and product".
>
> I know how to (re)compile the kernel etc. but how do I tell the
> kernel that I have an HP 5200C scanner?

If you read the documents, you will find that there is at least one
configuration file you will need to edit for your scanner. I don't
have access to my box right now, but IIRC the file is in
/usr/local/etc/ ?

--
Someone dial 911. My bling-bling was stolen and smuggled into Syria.