Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:15:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Georgiana S. Trigg" <gtrigg@rocketmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD/COMPAQ COMPATIBILITY

On Thursday, 27 August 1998 at 12:59:24 -0700, Georgiana S. Trigg wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> ---Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

Did you know that your mailer mutilates the message?  This is the way
I received it:

>> OK.  This still sounds a bit vague, but I
> think you're saying "Will
>> FreeBSD run on Compaq?".  If so, the answer is
> a qualified "yes".
>> I've heard of a number of problems, but most
> times it works fine.

And this is the way it should have been:

>> OK.  This still sounds a bit vague, but I think you're saying "Will
>> FreeBSD run on Compaq?".  If so, the answer is a qualified "yes".
>> I've heard of a number of problems, but most times it works fine.

I've fixed the mutilation in the rest of the message.  See
http://www.lemis.com/email.html for suggestions on how to avoid this
kind of mutilation.

> I was hoping actually that someone out there
> could say "Oh, yeah.  I installed it to my
> Compaq and had this problem or that problem."
> Or "I installed it...  It works fine."

Yes, but that wouldn't help.  Compaq makes a wide range of machines
with a wide range of peripherals.  Just because it works on one
doesn't mean it will work on yours.  Thus the qualified "yes".

>> Well, Windows products don't work well, period.
>
> Yeesh!  Tell me about it!  I want a UNIX box!  :-(
>
>> If they're doing particularly badly on your machine, you might have
>> problems which affect operating systems, such as FreeBSD, as well.
>> It's probably worth your while to mention what machine you have,
>> and what the problems with Microsoft are.
>
> If you instist... :-)

I don't insist.  But if you want any specific information, you're
going to have to mention it.

> I have a 4764 model.  I've had it for 18 mo.s or so.  It has 166 MHz
> processor, 32 MB RAM, and a 2.5GB HD, just to name a few things.
> I'm going to have to yank off the case cover and probe and dig to
> get more specific.  Compaq's documentation leaves something to be
> desired.

Hmmm.  I don't know the models, but maybe somebody else does.  Is the
disk IDE?

> I believe the machine must have come with Ver. A of '95.  I've seen
> more freezes, blue screens, and illegal operations than any one
> human being should.  I completely reformatted my hard drive before I
> did a full install of '98.  The major problem with that was it
> wouldn't pick up my internal modem on COM2.

It's quite possible you'll have the same kind of problem with
FreeBSD.  Stick in a boot disk and see.  You don't need to install
FreeBSD to check that.

> There were no jumpers to reset on the modem/sound card, and even
> after applying a patch from the Compaq site, I STILL can't get into
> the set-up.  I considered detaching the HD to boot directly into
> BIOS, but totally detaching your HD is just BEGGING for misery
> sometimes...  I'm running an external modem I borrowed from work on
> COM1, and I REALLY don't want to go out and buy an external to try
> to patch up that problem.

Understood.  What kind of modem is installed?  Is it from Compaq?

> Now it works okay, but it will do weird
> things...  My icons on my bar at the bottom
> right of the screen will all disappear except
> the volume icon and I have to reboot.  After I
> tell it to reboot (yes, I hit Start, Shut Down,
> Reboot), I still have to do 2 Ctrl-Alt-Dels to
> get it to finish.  Everything disappears but the
> wallpaper and it hangs.
>
> My warranty is up, and even before it ran out,
> Compaq tech support was USELESS.  Any time I had
> a problem, their solution was simply to blame it
> on the last piece of software I had installed.
> *sigh*
>
> My last-ditch effort will be quick-restoring my
> hard drive and upgrading the Win '95.  It's very
> possible that Win '98 just DOES NOT like my
> hardware.  It's probably pretty cheap stuff,
> anyways.  I'm sure my internal modem isn't the
> best on the market, especially since it's one of
> those modem+soundcard in one wonders...

Ah.  Yes, you could have trouble with FreeBSD in that case.  Is it a
Winmodem?  In that case it's definitely not supported, and never will
be.  If you don't know, just try the boot disk.

> Needless to say, I am going to BUILD my next box
> and make it generic as possible!

Yes, it's a pity that Compaq seems to have so many compatibility
problems.

Greg