Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:07:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      mk@capri.pl
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 on ultra2: scsi disk not detected

> This is definitely strange.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe
> the first disk has been forced into narrow mode.  Will Solaris tell you
> what it thinks the transfer settings are for each disk?  Are there any
> interesting jumpers on the first disk that might need to be looked at?

I don't know how to query Solaris about transfer settings, I turned on
verbose boot but there's no mention about transfer settings.

Disks have no jumpers except scsi address selection.
In the meantime I tried some jumper settings, but nothing changes -
disabling parity, disabling wide negotiation or forcing SE mode
make no difference.
I found another spare SCA disk, this time it's Seagate ST39103LC
(9GB). This is complete disaster: probe-scsi answers

{0} ok probe-scsi
unexpected message in 2

FreeBSD kernel gives here the following:

Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4194304 bytes at 0xc04923e8
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 0] prevphase 1, resid 24
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 3] prevphase 1, resid 20
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 14
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 24
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 24
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 24
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 24
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 24
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 24
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 24
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid 8
panic: trap: division by zero
cpuid = 1
boot() called on cpu#1
Uptime: 18s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot,
--> or switch off the system now.
Rebooting...

But this disk is probably not supported on Ultra2. Disk itself is ok, I
just connected it to the Sun IPX (yes, I'm obsolete Sun hardware addict)
and it gets detected properly ! Ultra2 seems not to like it (probe-scsi
failure), that looks quite strange taking into account that IPX is older
and detects this disk. PC hardware also accepts this disk.
I think that maybe it's the same with this IBM DRVS09D disk - Sun manuals
list only handful of disks which are officially supported on Ultra2, both
IBM DRVS09D and Seagate ST39103LC are not there, but IBM DORS32160 is
listed and this just works. This IBM DRVS09D is even LVD, Ultra2 is not
LVD - the disk itself can work also as SE, but ...

To complete this subject, I tried Linux (Debian 3.0r2), with the single
disk - the first one, with Solaris install. Result - complete failure:

[...]
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
qlogicfc : PCI not present
esp0: IRQ 4,7e0 SCSI ID 7 Clk 40MHz CCYC=25000 CCF=8 TOut 167
NCR53C9XF(espfast)
ESP: Total of 1 ESP hosts found, 1 actually in use.
scsi0 : Sparc ESP366-HME
esp0: target 0 [period 100ns offset 15 20.00MHz FAST-WIDE SCSI-II]
esp0: data bad parity detected.
esp0: data bad parity detected.
esp0: yieee, bytes_sent < 0!
esp0: csz=0 fifocount=0 ecount=16777144
esp0: use_sg=0 ptr=ffffffffc0001a10 this_residual=0
esp0: Forcing async for target 0
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 0x03 00 00 00 40 00
esp0: Aborting command
esp0: dumping state
esp0: dma -- cond_reg<b2bf8b14> addr<c0002998>
esp0: SW [sreg<11> sstep<04> ireg<18>]
esp0: HW reread [sreg<01> sstep<c4> ireg<00>]
esp0: current command [tgt<00> lun<00> pphase<CLUELESS> cphase<DATAIN>]
esp0: disconnected
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 1) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
esp0: Resetting scsi bus
esp0: Gross error sreg=40
esp0: SCSI bus reset interrupt
esp0: DMA error b2bf8a03
esp0: Resetting scsi bus
esp0: SCSI bus reset interrupt
esp0: Warning, live target 0 not responding to selection.
esp0: Warning, live target 0 not responding to selection.
esp0: Warning, live target 0 not responding to selection.
esp0: Warning, live target 0 not responding to selection.
esp0: Warning, live target 0 not responding to selection.
[...]

Linux infinitely keeps repeating last warning. FreeBSD at least reports
few parity errors, skips the disk and goes on.

For now I'm out of spare SCA disks, so tests stop here, but I will try
some more disks when I find them, because it's intriguing.

FreeBSD/Ultra2 users: what disks work for you ? Are the disks exactly
what Sun describes as "compatible", or maybe something else works also ?
Not for me :( I thought SCSI is SCSI, especially considering the same
generation disks.

Best regards,

--
Michal Konieczny