Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:28:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras@e-gerbil.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stuck in LAST_ACK

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Richard A. Steenbergen wrote:
>
> > The full LAST_ACK list was in a previous email, 4.0-STABLE, didn't think
> > the newreno stuff was an issue there.
>
> It's not newreno related, it's a fix that is related to sockets getting
> stuck in LAST_ACK when the system is low/out of mbufs.  (And the patch has
> been mfc'd to 3 and 4.)
>
> How old is your -STABLE?  The patch was added on June 8th or so.  Although
> with your huge number of mbufs, I doubt you ran out an caused the
> situation.

	Hmm, maybe if the system tries to allocate an mbuf, has none on
	mmbfree, calls m_mballoc(), which calls kmem_malloc(), which cannot
	eventually allocate a physical page, where (how) == M_DONTWAIT ==
	M_NOWAIT, which returns NULL, and the code cannot sleep as (how) ==
	M_DONWAIT, so you get NULL back and get into the problematic case if
	this is a prior-June 8th-fix -STABLE.

> OTOH, the high number of mbufs/mbuf clusters you have is almost
> worrysome; a netkill on that box could eat up a LOT of memory, which won't
> get freed.

 	Yes, another reason to look into the mbuf subsystem free pages patch.

--
 Bosko Milekic  *  Voice/Mobile: 514.865.7738  *  Pager: 514.921.0237
    bmilekic@technokratis.com  *  http://www.technokratis.com/