Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:41:27 -0500
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mass dumping of ports

I just put about 15 ports back to freebsd-ports@ so they are up for
grabs to whomever wants to take care of them.

This does *not* mean that I'm quitting FreeBSD; nothing could be further
from the truth. These are ports that are either (1) mostly static, that
is, they don't update often if at all, and a lot are documentation or
(2) ports that I just don't want to babysit anymore because they have
acted as a time sink for me.

I'm trying to concentrate more on (1) the autoconf, automake, and
libtool ports, which everybody hates but we all need, (2) the cups
ports, because it's the best damn printing system around and nobody
who hasn't used it in a real installation seems to have much of a clue
as to what it does or how it works, and (3) the KDE on FreeBSD project,
especially with Will projecting a heavy workload for his next year or
so, meaning that I may have to step in to take over some of the duties
he now handles.

I'm also prettu much dumping anything Perl-related (including the PRs
that I owned on p5- ports) because, frankly, although I can write perl,
I can sometimes even read it, but I do *not* like it as a language.
Please, do *not* start a flamewar or even a thread over this decision
or this statement; it is merely my personal opinion.

Also, at some point in the near future, the phoenix port will move over
to belonging to trevor@ alone, or perhaps marcus@ if he'll take it.

Ports that I have an authorship interest in (grip, phpSysinfo) I will
continue to maintain but on a low key basis.

I'm also beginning to take an interest in maintaining make(1) and have
a src/ mentor to assist me with that, along with having Juli as an
invaluable resource.

Finally, I'm trying to provide what assistance with the build system
that I can to the portmgr@ team, who seem to be perpetually having more
to do than time to do it in.

So there you have it, folks. I'm not leaving, I'm just sharpening my
focus in a way that makes the best use of my particular expertise for
the benefit of the project.

Now, if I could just get paid for this ... then I'd have it made.

--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro for 20 yrs, seeking new employment.