Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:58:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asthetic Issues

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> info should be in /usr/local/info.  It can share its info files with
> other programs, right?  (I.e., emacs can read jed's info files and jed
> can read emacs'.)

I'll test this tonight.  I don't have emacs installed,

>  * What I'm really concerned with, is that I was told that a program
>  * shouldn't expect to have it's own directory under /usr or /usr/local.  At
>  * this point, I'm favoring using /usr/local/lib/jed, with bin and lib under
>  * that.
>
> That's ugly. ;)

Yes, but I can't change it at the Makefile level.  The paths to all the
directories are built at runtime by appending the directory name onto
JED_ROOT, which can be overridden at program launch time.

So I either rut through the source for a program I don't understand, or
keep at least bin and lib in the same directory, and given all the *.sl
files that get generated, I certainly don't want to dump all those in
/usr/local/lib :-)

> I can't think of any reason why 2.1.5 and 2.2 behave differently in
> this regard, but it could be the version of bsd.port.mk.  Make sure
> you test it with the latest version (2.2-STABLE would be fine).

Once I got off of work, it took about 15 minutes to track this down to
configure.  It then took half an hour to realize that configure was
pulling an environmental variable (JED_ROOT) from the 2.2 machine that
didn't exist in the root environment of the 2.1.5 machine.  Of course, I
know know that the environmental variable isn't necessary.

So my options have been narrowed down to:
	1) keep it as is, and install to a directory
		${PREFIX}/jed/whatever.
	2) find a way to set an environmental variable in configure's
		environment, and move everything to
		${PREFIX}/lib/jed/whatever, since it ignores prefix
	3) patch configure to reach the same effect as 2
	4) try to track down everyreference to the variable JED_ROOT gets
		copied into, and modify each occurance depending on what
		is being looked for.

1 and 2 should work for future versions of JED.  3 might require a tweak,
and 4 is anyones guess.  JED is probably fairly stable, so 4 wouldn't be a
nightmare, but still not pleasant.   JED really wasn't designed with this
kind of install in mind :-) I now realize why it hadn't been ported
before.