Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:50:17 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        J A Shamsi <jashamsi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        fwtk-users@ex.tis.com, fwtk-users@lists.nai.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: smtp issue

Hi,

Could it be that sendmail is starting? Use the sockstat
command to see which app is using port 25. Also make sure
you have sendmail_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf.

Regards
Willem Brown

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 08:34:39AM -0700, J A Shamsi wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am configuring TIS FWTK on a freeBSD 3.2 machine.
> I am facing problem in configuring smtp (SMAP , SMAPD
> proxy)
>
> I have the following entry in my inetd.conf file
>
> smtp stream tcp nowait root  /usr/local/libexec/smap
> =>smap
>
> and  following in my services file
>
> smtp  25/tcp   mail
> smtp  25/udp   mail
>
> The problem is that, when I am trying to start inetd
> processes
> I am getting the message
> "bind adreess already in use."
>
> I did not gets any error message, when I comments out
> the entry for smtp in my inetd file.
> I am able to send and recieve messages, after
> commenting out entry in inetd file( although I donot
> have any other entry in my inetd file)
> It looks like that it is starting the process from
> rc.conf ( although I donot have an entry for smtp in
> in rc.conf)
>
> the error message of bind adrees already in use
> also disappears when I change the port from 25 to 26.
>
> has anyone  got any idea about the problem??
>
> what should I do if I want to use smap proxy?
> do i have to start smapd proxy also??
>
> and do I have to change  configuration on the client
> side also to use smap proxy ( tis fwtk)
>
> thanks in advance
>
> jawwad shamsi

 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral or
fattening.