Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:06:23 -0500
From:      David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: Need really cheap IDE mirroring PCI controlled for FreebBSD 4.10

On Mar 3, 2005, at 19:20, Emanuel Strobl wrote:

> If you consider upgrading to 5.4 you can use any onboard chipset or
> cheap
> controller card with some geomclasses, namely g_mirror. It's fantastic
> and
> the only stateful mirror solution I know. And you can mirror only
> parts of
> your disk, or mirror across 3 drives aso. The power of geom :)

This can be done with 4.x. From atacontrol(8):

      create   Create a type ATA RAID.  The type can be RAID0 (stripe),
RAID1
               (mirror), RAID0+1 or SPAN (JBOD).  In case the RAID has a
RAID0
               component, the interleave must be specified in number of
sec-
               tors.  The RAID will be created of the individual disks
named
               disk0 ... diskN.

               Although the ATA driver allows for creating an ATA RAID
on disks
               with any controller, there are restrictions.  It is only
possi-
               ble to boot on an array if it is either located on a
``real''
               ATA RAID controller like the Promise or Highpoint
controllers,
               or if the RAID declared is of RAID1 or SPAN type; in case
of a
               SPAN, the partition to boot must reside on the first disk
in the
               SPAN.

Vinum(8) is also available on 4.x.