Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:48:40 +0200
From:      Christiaan Rademan <christiaan@mics.co.za>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hi All.

Greetings..

We here have a FreeBSD 4.0-Stable server, running latest services. ie
for mail.
The problem is it has been rebooting from time to time.. No reason has
been given to me
in detail via the log file. The machine has definitly not been hacked
according to some probes.

I am left with a question, "Did I brake something, or is there a new
DoS attack or something else"

All I have done is changed the chflags on some odd directories /bin with
-R.
Directories: /bin - /sbin - /usr/bin - /usr/sbin - /usr/libexec

Then I mostley went around removing +x filemodes from some slightly
important suid exec, but
theyr still excuteable by owner,group : root,wheel.

Other than that, the server has definitly not got hardware problems,
that has been replaced fully.

I also have the system running kern.securelevel=3... via rc.conf

I succesfully had a machine running with uptime for over 60days, with
the changes.
Although now I have to question why the machine reboots during the week?

So far, it looks like the kernel is screwing up, for no known reason.

I am about to try running the machine on a generic kernel, maybe make an
attempt to see
if it still brakes.

If anyone has a clue what might be going wrong here, please contact me..

Regards, Christiaan Rademan