Date:      Sun, 30 May 2004 14:30:54 +0200
From:      Gerrit =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        Shane Ambler <Shane@007Marketing.com>
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel for MSI 694D Pro

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 08:26:14PM +0930, Shane Ambler wrote:

> >> I am looking for some assistance in building an SMP kernel for an MSI dual
> >> PIII board, model is 694D Pro.

I have the same board (694D Pro-AIR) here which is running fine under 5.2.1;
acpi is somehow broken, but it's running without.

> >> Running top only shows one cpu line in the header - the entry for top
> >> switches between cpu0 and cpu1 (in the state column) so there is some
> >> recognition of the 2 procs just not spreading the load.

> > So your kernel is in fact using both CPUs.

Indeed. Look at "dmesg|grep CPU". There will be a line saying something like
"CPU #1 launched" as one of the last messages coming directly from the
kernel (in bright white during on your screen during the booting process);
this shows that the second CPU is launched (the first one is named CPU #0).

I guess you know the two state lines in top from Linux. FreeBSD's top
doesn't do this.

> >> I am importing multiple times into mysql to check load - the best I can do
> >> is get 45% idle.

> > If your application is not multithreaded or is linked to libc_r then
> > it will only use one CPU at a time.

> OK I will look at the configure options of mysql server - it is suppose to
> be multi threaded.

You can also start two processes, each taking 100% CPU to test. top should
show you the corresponding idle time and load then. I use the
distributed-net client (/usr/ports/misc/dnetc) for this kind of test.

> Shouldn't top show an individual line for each cpu load though?

No, not in this version of top (see above). However, you should be able to
see (different or threaded) processes running on CPU#0 and CPU#1 at the same
time.

Hope it helps.

cu
  Gerrit