Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:22:58 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq (was: DOH! Something PCI-related recently broken in -STABLE)

On Monday 20 August 2001 14:10, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> Yes, but that dosn't alter the fact the someone at Compaq smokes
> crack.  And that they don't really care about compatability.
>
> Early Compaq desktops had a hack in their BIOS that looked for a
> specific signature on the hard drive, and wouldn't boot if the drive
> didn't come from Compaq.  No upgrades from Fry's for you!
>
> That has changed, but the attitude that allowed it has not.

I bought a compaq laptop just under two years ago.
I called to complain that it wouldn't *power* *up*.

I let it drop that I had installed another O/S.

The tech support guy told me that they don't offer support if you install
non-compaq *software* on the computer.

 I said "you mean non-Compaq operating systems, right?"

He said, "No, any non-Compaq software."

Luckily it was the second time I ever booted it, so I got a RMA and sent it
back.  Compaq doesn't even sell *computers* or at least they claim not to,
since a computer is a programmable device.  They don't sell those.  They sell
information appliances or something, but if you run any *software* on it
other than what they provided, and it happens to do anything useful, it's a
complete surprise to them, apparenly.

> I avoid Compaq when I can.

Like the plague.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)