Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 17:54:14 PST
From:      Marc Frajola <marc@enginet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help - How do I get FreeBSD NFS client to mount FreeBSD server?

Hi...

    When I do a 'mount sys:/usr/home/dir /mnt' from a FreeBSD client to
mount a directory on a FreeBSD server (where I think I have NFS server
properly enabled on the server), the mount command hangs, no errors or
hints about what's wrong. I have also checked that NFS client is
enabled on the client (via the rc.conf nfs_client_enable option).

    I have checked the FAQ, specifically sections on networking and
NFS. From the FAQ, I tried using the -P option, which seems to help
Suns and a few other vendor types to work with FreeBSD, but I still get
the same hang.

    I have rebooted both the client and server after all config changes
had been made, so am pretty sure it's not just an error getting the
daemons properly started.

    I've done tons of NFS with SunOS, Solaris, Network appliance, etc,
and am clueless why this isn't working. What am I missing here?

...Marc...
--
Marc Frajola, marc@enginet.com

==> I'm running FreeBSD 3.2 on a server:

FreeBSD beacon.synthcom.com 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #2: Sun Aug 29 21:56:09 PDT 1999     neil@beacon.synthcom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/SYNTHCOM  i386

==> Here's the /etc/exports file on the server:
#The following examples export /usr to 3 machines named after ducks,
#/home and all directories under it to machines named after dead rock stars
#and, finally, /a to 2 privileged machines allowed to write on it as root.
#/usr                huey louie dewie
#/home   -alldirs    janice jimmy frank
#/a      -maproot=0  bill albert
#
# You should replace these lines with your actual exported filesystems.
/usr/home/dir       198.145.98.7

==> Here's the rc.conf for the server:

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 198.145.98.1  netmask 255.255.255.224"
ifconfig_fxp1="inet 198.145.98.253  netmask 255.255.255.224"
linux_enable="YES"
gateway_enable="YES"
defaultrouter="NO"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
named_enable="YES"
network_interfaces="fxp0 fxp1 lo0"
hostname="beacon.synthcom.com"
#
router_enable="YES"             # Set to YES to enable a routing daemon.
router="/usr/local/sbin/gated"  # Name of routing daemon to use if enabled.
router_flags=""                 # Flags for routing daemon.

==> The NFS client is also running FreeBSD:

FreeBSD unix.synthcom.com 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #0: Tue May 18 04:05:08 GMT 1999     jkh@cathair:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

==> Here's the rc.conf for the client:

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 198.145.98.7  netmask 255.255.255.224"
linux_enable="YES"
defaultrouter="198.145.98.1"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
network_interfaces="fxp0 lo0"