Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 11:00:17 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: ppp

> I'm having problems with PPP as is someone else I know, on a 2.1 system.
>
> Basically, if the line drops then it drops the default route from the
> routing table and when you next try and use the net instead of it
> re-dialing you get no route to host errors.

Umm, if the line drops to your net connection, you have no route to
host.  This sounds like the correct response.

> I can't find any way to get auto-dialing to work properly. I have to
> kill ppp and re-start if manually (user-land ppp that is).

Hmm, I didn't have any problems with it working when I tested it,
although I wasn't happy with it locking up at times and dropping the
connection.  Since I needed something that worked 'all' the time, I am
now using kernel ppp, and I've not had any problems.  Someone (Mike
Smith?) sent me some example scripts which helped me setup auto-login
with kernel mode stuff, and I haven't had any problems since.

> Killing ppp also has the side-effect of killing the X server. This makes
> it a real pain to use.

That's strange.  I've not seen either of these problems.  If you want I
can try and help you debug it if you send me (privately) your ppp
configuration files.

Also, are you using internal/external modems?

Nate