Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:58:56 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gotchas when trying 5.0-DP2

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 05:13:47PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> One question: is there any interest in just having the loader be in
> the EFI partition but leave the kernels in UFS / as well as the rest
> of /boot?  I suppose one might would have to write a UFS driver for
> EFI to make that work.

I can't say no :-) I now put everything on the EFI partition because it
makes ia64 less weird from the other architectures. A simple link and
installworld and installkernel will do the right thing. There are
other advantages as well, but if all OSes in a multi-boot environment
are going to put dozens of MBs in the EFI partition, then it may not be
that attractive.

At this time I haven't got a clear picture of what other OSes do (except
that HP-UX doesn't play ball at all). Linux has or used to have the
kernel on the EFI partition. I don't know about Windows.