Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 15:09:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: H323, natd and phonepatch

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Cambria, Mike wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using information found searching the mailing list archives, I have set my
> home LAN up to the point where NetMeeting on my NT 4 (SP5) system can send
> audio, video and chat to the 'net.  My natd/ipfw system is running FreeBSD
> 3.4-Release (with altq patches).  This system is also using PhonePatch
> (trial version).  I've set ifpw/natd up to be OPEN (I'm not filtering
> anything).
>
> The problem is that I cannot receive audio or video.  Focusing initially on
> H323, some information I've found says that the problem is that some NAT
> implementations/configurations will not let this work.  Others say
> PhonePatch can't support receiving audio/video via natd.  (I thought the
> point of using a proxy such as PhonePatch was to allow this.)
>
> Should I be able to receive audio and video via FreeBSD ipfw/natd using
> PhonePatch ?
>
> Until I know what should be possible, I can't know what to look for (nor can
> I refute claims made against this setup.)   My reading of the PhonePatch
> configuration page dealing with NAT is that as long as the port numbers are
> not changed (e.g. just IP address is translated), PhonePatch will do what I
> want.
>
> Is anyone else doing this or have others given up?

I am going to have to do something like this very soon.  I have two
H.323 endpoints using RFC1918 addressing on my network that are going
to have to be able to communicate with the rest of the world sometime
soon.  Since I was told that using NAT doesn't work with H.323
(apparently it does to some degree, as you have it partially working),
the only solution I knew of until now was to set up a MCU (Multipoint
Connection Unit) in my DMZ so that my internal endpoints and any
external clients could communicate through it.  Unfortunately, this is
an extremely expensive proposition, as the only MCU software available
that I know of (from White Pine Software) is several thousand dollars,
and MCU hardware is considerably more expensive than that.

I just took a look at this PhonePatch software, and it looks like it
will do what I need.  I don't suppose anybody knows of any free or
better yet open-sourced equivalents?

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )