Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 02:49:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen McKay)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Enthusiasm boost: make world works on 386SX16 4Mb

> Feeling down because your Pentium 90 complains about syntax errors in
> the latest sysinstall?  Worried about your slow Internet connection?  Fooey!
>
> Gain a special warmth from the knowledge that FreeBSD-current (as of
> 1995-05-09 20:57) compiles from scratch in a mere 6 days non-stop on
> a 386SX16 with 4Mb ram, IDE disk, vnconfig'd swap space and NFS mounted
> /usr/src and /usr/obj.  We're talking 140 hours, give or take a few.

Only 32 times slower than a P54C-90 with fast local disks and 32MB of
memory.  Wonder what you payed for that SX16 system 5 years ago when
you got it :-) :-).

> Be happy to know that every type of swap-in/swap-out/page-in/page-out/vm-fault
> code sequence was exercised thousands of times in a memory starved environment.
>
> Be not indifferent to the fact that it still ran well enough while compiling
> to allow a few vmstats and pstats and the occasional 'man vnconfig'.  Key
> echo was fine, most of the time. :-)
>
> 2.0.5 is looking really solid to me!  No hangs, glitches or weird things, and
> all my swap space stayed usable.  Prepare for pats on the back all round!

Glad to here that you like it!!!

> Stephen.
>
> PS. Those of you with a trivia fixation can enjoy the following:
> 'make world' caused 60 million wdc0 interrupts and 6 million ed0 interrupts.

Humm.. to bad the PCI code is broken in this area, it would be interesting
to compare the number of interrupts to a scsi system running make world.