Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:04:15 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Use of network_interfaces in rc.conf

Looking at man rc.conf,

     network_interfaces
                 (str) Set to the list of network interfaces to configure o=
                 this host or =E2=80=9CAUTO=E2=80=9D (the default) for all =
current
interfaces.
                 Setting the network_interfaces variable to anything other
                 than the default is deprecated.  Interfaces that the
adminis=E2=80=90
                 trator wishes to store configuration for, but not start at
                 boot should be configured with the =E2=80=9CNOAUTO=E2=80=
=9D keyword in
their
                 ifconfig_=E2=9F=A8interface=E2=9F=A9 variables as describe=
d below.

For example, in my rc.conf I have

ifconfig_em0=3D"dhcp"

What difference does it make when I have each (separately) in my rc.conf:

1) no network_interfaces at all
2) network_interfaces=3D"AUTO"
3) network_interfaces=3D"em0"
4) network_interfaces=3D"NOAUTO"