Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:19:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, karl@Mcs.Net, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports explosion

> > Actually, the patches directory is not supposed to be there.  My guess
> > is that you did a "cvs update" without the "-P" (prune) option.
>
> Actually, that's because he first checked it out without pruning (Karl
> needs to read up on CVS a little more).  I noticed that in his
> example.
>
> Karl, watch closely.. :-)
>
> jkh@time-> cvs co zip
> cvs checkout: Updating zip
> U zip/Makefile
> cvs checkout: Updating zip/files
> U zip/files/md5
> cvs checkout: Updating zip/patches
> cvs checkout: Updating zip/pkg
> U zip/pkg/COMMENT
> U zip/pkg/DESCR
> U zip/pkg/PLIST
> jkh@time-> ls zip/patches
> CVS
> jkh@time-> cvs release -d zip
> You have [0] altered files in this repository.
> Are you sure you want to release (and delete) module `zip': y
> jkh@time-> cvs co -P zip
> cvs checkout: Updating zip
> U zip/Makefile
> cvs checkout: Updating zip/files
> U zip/files/md5
> cvs checkout: Updating zip/patches
> cvs checkout: Updating zip/pkg
> U zip/pkg/COMMENT
> U zip/pkg/DESCR
> U zip/pkg/PLIST
> jkh@time-> ls zip/patches
> ls: zip/patches: No such file or directory
>
> 					Jordan

Wait a minute.

I checked out the ports into a CLEAN directory.  Why would I have to prune
in that case?  There was nothing there to prune!

You're saying that I have to prune WHENEVER I check out, not just as an
update, but from a clean start?  That is NOT how I understood this!

What I did was this:

mkdir /disk/ports
rm -rf /usr/ports
ln -s /disk/ports /usr/ports	<<<< Note - nothing there; clean structure!
setenv CVSROOT /usr/cvs
cvs co ports			<<<< Clean extract into a NEW directory tree
cd /usr/ports			<<<< Ok, go to the top
make all

That SHOULD work, no?

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!