Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:51:46 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Have crashed, won't travel

Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Ah, that message. Sorry, I didn't write it down. Hadn't decided yet to
> > *not* to re-install again, so why bother.
>
> One reason might be because it's harmless.

Sure, but I'm not used to this kind of support. Heck, I'm not used to
support. Period. It's nice. Very nice even. But it'll take some
adjusting <g>.

> > However I am quite new to FreeBSD, maybe these (boot) messages get stored
> > and kept for a few revisions like the maillog?
>
> They're in /var/log/messages, and also (just the boot messages) in
> /var/run/dmesg.boot.  You can also display the contents of the message
> buffer with dmesg, but after the machine's been up for a while it gets
> overwritten with other messages.

So I noticed. The top is either all gibberish or some fancy ANSI codes
that are totally wasted on my telnets <g>. E.g.

  "\^[[17;1H\^[[m\^[[19;1H\^[[m\^[[20;1H\^[[m\^[[21;1H\^[[m\^[[17;"

etc., for about 10K. Then it continues more normally with:

[[m\^[[1m\^[[m\^[[1m\^[[m\^[[m\^[[m\^[[H\^[[Javail memory = 127156224 (124176K
ytes)
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xf0340000.
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:

> The kind of damage done to a file system is usually in the structure
> rather than in the individual files.  A make world wouldn't do much to
> help there.  In general, if it complains about problems, but still
> comes up, it has solved those problems.

Well, I can't recollect having ever experienced file corruption with an
unix system but I do have experienced them with other OSs. Also I have
lost whole filesystems due to superblock problems. Granted, this was
with Microsoft Xenix, but ...

> You might find it interesting to try.  It won't solve the (possible)
> problem at hand.

It came up in single user mode. So I could easily recheck the filesystems.
It didn't find any problems, so I guess it's probably Ok.

If you don't mind I'll safe the 'make world' for when I got a running
system <g>. Still have installing the imapd to do. Followed by the
fun job of copying all my configuration details, as well as porting
all the data and going life. Together with getting the hang of it
still good for at least a couple of days or even weeks. Ah well, it's
a life <g>.

Which reminds me. I've just had a run in with the apache++ installs.
Most notably SSLeay. Thought I'd found a Real Bug but it was not to
be. Turned out I had to edit /etc/make.conf and tell it I was not
USA_RESIDENT.

A detail that had escaped my attention. I rechecked the FAQ and though
it does mention non-residency in 2.23 it does not mention make.conf.
Even a grep "make\.conf on the FAQ dir doesn't find a mentioning.

The handbook does mention make.conf in several places, even in the
ports section. But *not* in the installing from the Internet section.
Nor does it say that one really ought to edit it. Nowhere does it
mention USA_RESIDENT (I grepped it).

I think it would be a good thing to give it a more prominent place.
I suppose it could be placed in the MS-DOS section as "Q. like
editing config.sys and autoexec.bat is there something to do to
FreeBSD to "finish it off"?", but personally I think this merits
a "2.5 Things To Do" section in the installation part. For I'm
sure there are more Tiny Little Details just waiting to be
discovered <g>.

Roelof

Het Slakke Huis op http://iboa.nl.eu.org/Slak/
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.