Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 02:28:27 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/null permission change from 4.3 -> 4.4...

> > 	Howdy.  This question was originally framed as a "why doesn't
> > uptime work for users in 4.4, when it used to in 4.3," but after looking
> > into things further, it's now a "why is /dev/null set to mod 0600?"  On
> > a 4.3 system that I have, the perms on dev/null are 666.
>
> It's been brought up a couple of times on -stable since 4.4rc1 came out...
> I had the same problem, with /dev/null (and ISTR /dev/random) were both
> 0600. more recent mergemasters have not caused problems for me.

Sounds plausible...  I just finished bringing a few 4.2 systems up to
4.4 and they were just fine.  I think you're right though in that the
systems that were having the probs were tracking -STABLE and probably
have had it like that since whenever the problem was in -RC and I just
noticed it now.  So long as it's no longer a problem, I'll mod the
devices back to normal.

Were /dev/null and /dev/urandom the only two that you noticed?  urandom
seems to be set correctly (0444).  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden