Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 01:45:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting /usr/ports everywhere...

 * > The lndir trick is slow, eats lots of inodes while leaving you still
 * > dependant on your CD or NFS mounted ports tree, lndir doesn't come as
 * > a standard component (you need to load XFree86's bin component) and
 * > it's no longer supported by sysinstall anyway (it was too slow).  If I

Yeah, I think it's a good idea.  You may want to lump it with the src
tarballs though (or at least warn them that the tree can GROW (in all
caps) during compilation) so unsuspecting users won't say "oh, 35MB!
sure, that's gonna fit in my 150MB /usr!". :)

 * I assume you might still support linking the distfiles though, right?

That's not really necessary, bsd.port.mk looks at the cdrom first. :)
Speaking of which, I assume you haven't changed this path in the
latest CD, Jordan?

MASTER_SITES:=	file:/cdrom/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/ ${MASTER_SITES}

Satoshi