Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:05:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Markus Holmberg <saska@acc.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Suffering from IDE hd spin downs (already turned off in BIOS)

Hello!

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE for a while, without the previous two
hd's never spinning down.

But recently I installed a new IBM 8 Gb IDE hd, and now I'm suffering from
*both* the new and the old ones spinning down after approx 15-30 minutes.
It is very irritating as it locks up the system for a few seconds and also
causes much wear and tear on the disks.

I have double-checked my settings in the BIOS, and power management has
always been turned off! (No APM etc) And the IDE HDD power management is
specifically turned off.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? I don't have apm compiled
into my kernel. It's strange that the old hd's are also spinning down
after the installation of the new hd..

I'd be very thankful to hear from someone with information on this issue!

Best Regards, Markus Holmberg.