Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:28:13 +0000
From:      Phillip Neumann <bob@sofsis.cl>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wireless

El Thu, 18-08-2005 a las 03:52 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke escribió:
> On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 00:47 +0000, Phillip Neumann wrote:
> > As i wanted to forget about playing with ifconfig to configure the
> > wireless connection, and did not find something like wifi-radar for
> > linux (the python program),
> > did a similar thing wich speaks with ifconfig.
> >
> > It works most of the time here. It works over mono and gtk#2
> >

> > anyone has a wireless card to test this there?..
> > what do you think?
> >
> > mine is a intel2100 card.
> >
> > the program works with
> > "ifconfig ipw0"
> > so if you have lets say the wi0 device, do this before
> > "ifconfig wi0 name ipw0"
> >
> > (how do i list all wifi devices?)
>
> There's no good way to do it with ifconfig, but one way that will work
> (and we've used similar methods in other apps) is to create an array or
> hash of all known wireless interfaces.  Basically:
>
> an
> iwi
> ipw
> ndis
> ath
> wi
> ral
> ural
>
> Then, you can use ifconfig -l to list all available interfaces, and do
> further processing on any that match your static list.

Greate.

> > Problems i have found (do you get the same ones?):
> >
> > - The Process() class doesnt see to work fine, it leaves <defunct>
> > processes behind
>
> You need to cleanup after your process.  In Java, this is done using the
> Process.waitFor() method.  I'm sure there is something similar in C#.

Right..  it was .WaitForExit()   :-)

> > - ifconfig ipw0 scan does not delete ssid's when the becomse offline
> > (driver problem?)
>
> I'm not so sure.  Why would you want it to delete SSIDs just because the
> interface goes down?  If it were brought up, having the SSID configured
> would give it a better chance of reconnecting.

oh.. i ment to going down the access point (or moving too far away from
it), not the interfac/driver

like having online 1 AP and turn it off, ifconfig scan shows up the last
info it got from the AP. And signal is not 0 neither.

> I haven't yet given myself over to Mono, but the screen shots look
> promising.  You might want to expand to WPA support as well.

The code may look dirty... but it does the job (for me at least..)

wpa_supplicant you mean?..

I've update the thing a little
http://sofsis.cl/GW/screen.jpg
http://sofsis.cl/GW/