Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 15:41:37 EST
From:      JadiW@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help: how to install FreeBSD! from impatient person.

Hi, I have been tried to install the FreeBSD from CD-ROM with boot floppy
disk for several days. I hope you can help me out as soon as possible because
I am so eager to use UNIX.

I want to have 2 Operating Systems, MS-DOS and UNIX, on my PC. So, Here is
the steps I had tried:
Assume : C is hard drive.
               A is floppy drive.
               D is CD-ROM drive with top level of a FreeBSD.

1) copy all important files from CD-ROM to C-drive.

           C> MD C:\FREEBSD
           C> XCOPY /S D:\FREEBSD\ BIN  C:\FREEBSD\BIN\
           C> XCOPY /S D:\FREEBSD\MANPAGES  C:\FREEBSD\MANPAGES\

2) copy the boot.flp image onto A-drive.

           A> d:\FREEBSD\tools\fdimage  FREEBSD\floppies\boot.fip  a:

3) scan and defragment the hard drive of my PC.

4) reboot succesfully.

5) didn't modify the kernel configuation.

6) set option.

7) novice installation.

8) Problem : I have the following error message and don't know how to fix it.

        1. No root device found.
           You must label a partition as / in the label editor
        2. No swap devices found.
            You must create at least one swap partition.
        3. No /usr file system found.
        4. No /var file system found.

        Counldn't make file system properly, abort.

Please help! Thanks!

JW.