Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 09:38:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   VM Commits / GIANT_ macros

    Hello everyone!  Ok, after talking with John and others at USENIX
    and a doing a couple of back and forths with Alfred, I am officially
    taking over the main-line machine-independant VM system in -current.

    I will also be working on i386 pmap, vm_object, vm_map, and the buffer
    cache (in regards to mutexes & Giant).

    Finally, I have begun instrumenting pieces of -current with GIANT_ macros
    to formalize and assert Giant conditions.  These macros will also allow
    us to remove Giant via sysctl in a piecemeal fashion, so when someone
    believes they have made a section giant-free, they can use the
    GIANT_DEPRECIATED macro along with a sysctl to allow other developers
    to conditionally turn Giant off there (e.g. so your systems don't crash
    when you are just trying to boot or install a new kernel).

    Basic documentation on the GIANT_ macros is available at:

	http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeBSDSmp/

    You do not have to lift a finger re: the GIANT_ macros if you do not
    want to, but I will be instrumenting them throughout the codebase as
    I go along.  These macros only do stuff if INVARIANTS is turned on
    (all -current developers should obviously have INVARIENTS turned on).

    --

    The VM mutex backout has been committed and tested w/ buildworld
    on IA32/UP.  I tried to cleanup the other platforms as well but

						-Matt