Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:22:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Darren Shepard <dss@orst.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port upgrade method question

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Darren Shepard wrote:
> Subject: Re: port upgrade method question
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:07:40AM -0500,
>    John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com> writes:
>
> | I've CVSup'd my system and my ports tree (ports-all). Now I'm using
> |
> | # pkg_version -v
> |
> | to see which installed ports have an upgrade available. Working with this
> | info, I go into each port I wish to upgrade and
> |
> | # portupgrade -R port-name
> |
> | I can't do a
> |
> | # portupgrade -aR
> |
> | as I can't leave Thinkpad up and running in one place long enough to build
> | all of them.
> |
> | I'm iteratively using the steps above to upgrade my ports tree. Is there a
> | better/different way? Am I skipping any steps? Since I'm upgrading one
> | port at a time, do I need to run portsdb? Also, I see references in the
> | archives to
>
> FWIW, I do something like the following:
>
>   1. `portversion -l '<' -c > /tmp/portup.sh'
>   2. edit /tmp/portup.sh to taste
>   3. `/bin/sh /tmp/portup.sh'

Thanks for the pointer. I was fiddling with this tactic on my workstation
at home which has a great deal more ports installed than my laptop.

> | # cd /usr/ports
> | # make index
> |
> | Do I need to do this? Everything seems to be working well, I'm just
> | wondering if my method is proper.
> |
> | Thanks - JB
>
> I think portsdb(1) answers your INDEX questions:

<snip>

Yes, it does. Thanks. I'm slowly putting all the pieces of staying current
with a large ports tree together. For now, I'm dealing with past mistakes
and their results, such as this:

root:~ > pkg_info | grep qt
qt-3.0.5_3          A C++ X GUI toolkit
qt-3.0.5_5          A C++ X GUI toolkit
root:~ > pkg_info -R qt-3.0.5_3
Information for qt-3.0.5_3:

Required by:
kdebase-3.0.5
kdelibs-3.0.5_1

root:~ > pkg_info -R qt-3.0.5_5
Information for qt-3.0.5_5:

Required by:
arts-1.0.4,1
kdebase-3.0.5
kdegames-3.0.4
kdegraphics-3.0.4
kdelibs-3.0.5_1
kdemultimedia-3.0.4
kdeutils-3.0.4_1
koffice-1.2,1
kstars-0.9

Odd that kdebase and kdelibs require qt-3.0.5_3 *and* qt-3.0.5_5. I wonder
if this is a result of me climbing the learning curve, or an anomaly in
the kde dependencies? Does this discussion belong on freebsd-ports?
Doesn't seem like it.

Thanks for the pointers!

JB

#  John Bleichert