Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:57:48 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <freebsd-current@gargantuan.com>
To:        "Alastair G. Hogge" <agh@tpg.com.au>
Cc:        Allan Fields <bsd@afields.ca>
Subject:   Re: Custom kernels causing Promise ATA RAID to go down

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

On 2004-06-10T14:28:48+1000, Alastair G. Hogge wrote:
> Thought about this. But I don't think it is the case. I've had the 2 HD f=
or=20
> sometime now, and I they used to 24/7. I have 3 fans running in my tower=
=20
> case.
>=20
> I've just re-built world again recently and I'm still getting problems.
>=20
> I need to get that other machine going.

I am using an on-board Promise controller, and had similar problems when
first setting up this server.

# pciconf -lv | grep -B1 -A3 Promise
atapci0@pci2:2:0:       class=3D0x010485 card=3D0x1275105a chip=3D0x5275105=
a rev=3D0x01 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor   =3D 'Promise Technology Inc'
    device   =3D 'PDC20276 Ultra133 TX2/FastTrak TX Lite EIDE Controller'
    class    =3D mass storage
    subclass =3D RAID

What I discovered was that my cables were too long.  I had purchased
those round cables in order to reduce air flow restrictions in the case,
but at the time, I could only get 36" cables.  After quite a few lost
mirrors, I found out that those cables _should_ be a maximum of 18"
long.  I replaced the 36" cables with 18" cables and haven't had a
problem since.

I don't know if this will help you, but it certainly fixed the problems
that I was having.

Good luck.

--=20
Mike
perl -e 'print unpack("u","88V]N=3D&%C=3D\"!I;F9O(&EN(&AE861E<G,*");'

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy--