Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:00:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        James Jeffrey <james@jgj.org.uk>
Cc:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>, "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache 2 MPMs

  The FreeBSD VM system allows all unmodified pages to be shared between
forked processes.  This is one of the reasons why I really doubt that
Apache 2.x will require less memory than 1.3.  Not to mention that Apache
2.x is undergoing feature bloat.

  About the only advantage of the thread architecture is that context
switching overhead should be lower than with processes.  However, process
context switching has been optimized so much that a good process
implementation performs faster than a bad thread implementation.

Tom