Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:19:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   'must have' packages on first CD

I know I'm probably going to regret asking this and I can't
guarantee I'll get everyone's favorites in, but... here's
little exercise in achieving some semblance of customer
satisfaction.

I'd like to know the top five ports that are a 'must have'
on the first CD of each FreeBSD release.  I mean which ports
do people have to have for the first reboot after settting
up a box and absolutely cannot tolerate sticking in the 2nd
CD to grab any remaining ports of interest.  I was thinking
along the lines of a shell (bash/tcsh), an editor (emacs/vim),
etc.

So here's the deal.  I'd like to get a list of people's top
five ports that must go on the first CD.  A few guidelines
so we don't bore this list to death and end up making this
a nightmare for me. :)

1) Reply to me and not the list.  If at the end there is
   enough interest I can post some form of results.

2) Pick five and only five!  If you really have to have six
   ask your friend to add it to his/her list before they
   send their's in.

3) No need for explanations for why you want them.  Just list
   them one per line like this:

	bash-1.14.7
	emacs-20.3
	xv-3.10a
	tcl-8.0.4
	tk-8.0.4

4) Don't worry about listing the dependencies.  I can pick
   those up easily enough.

5) Try to pick ones that are in the -current ports tree.
   Asking me to put rxvt-2.4.5 on there when rxvt-2.4.11
   is what we have, just isn't going to happen.

x) What are you waiting for?  Send me your list. :)

-steve