Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:29:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Steven Adams <steve@drifthost.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found

--zS7rBR6csb6tI2e1

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:49:29PM +1000, Steven Adams wrote:

> When im trying to run pkg_add im getting
>=20
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found
>=20
> Does anyone know what this mean and how I install it.

Well, the error message means that the dynamic loader (ld-elf.so)
cannot find a shared library that pkg_add requires.  The library
itself should be in:

    /usr/lib/libssl.so.3

Both that, and pkg_add are standard parts of the base system, although
there are also versions of OpenSSL (security/openssl) and the pkg
tools suite (sysutils/pkg_install) in the ports system.  I'm guessing
that what has happened is that you've installed one or both of those
using pre-compiled packages, hence the trouble resolving the shared
libraries.

In general, you shouldn't install a port that duplicates part of the
base system unless you actually need to do that.  Especially if what
you're installing provides shared libraries.  Most of those ports
exist as ways of ensuring backwards compatability to older system
versions -- you certainly don't need them if you're running
4.10-RELEASE, 4.10-STABLE, 5.2.1-RELEASE or better.  There's probably
a couple of other releases from the 4.x series where you don't need
them either.

If you haven't got a /usr/lib/libssl.so.3 file on your computer, then
something is certainly rotten there.  The simplest way to recover is
to use cvsup to grab the latest sources from whatever installation
branch you're using, and then do a full build+install world+kernel
cycle as detailed in the Handbook:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Do examine your /etc/make.conf to make sure you aren't inadvertently
disabling crypto support.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20