Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:02:12 -0500
From:      Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (a love story)

[2003-02-05 16:01] Alexey Zelkin said:

| >   Now, a nit... I tried building on a -current machine, but the
| > 3.2.1 compiler bails early in the build of adlc, complaining of
| > numerous ostream operator link-errors.  I hacked around with
| > this a bit, while the 4.7 box was building, but gave up after
| > I noticed that I could compile the same ostream<<(char) code
| > that the build was complaining about.  Weird.
|
| Strange.  Can you please provide me information about exact error
| messages, 'gcc -v', and 'uname -a' ?

brent@scratch$ uname -a
FreeBSD scratch.rcfile.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #2: Mon Feb  3 00:56:31 EST 2003     root@scratch.rcfile.org:/jail/.usr.obj/usr/cvs/src/sys/SCRATCH  i386
brent@scratch$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.1 [FreeBSD] 20021119 (release)

Output from the failed make is at:

  http://rcfile.org/~brent/jdk14/make.out.gz

| >   I created a ports directory for the jdk14, and was wondering if
| > it would be possible to distribute patchset 2 in .zip format, so
| > USE_ZIP could be set in the Makefile to extract both the scsl-src
| > and patchset, instead of having to _manually_ extract one of them.
| > If I'm missing some feature of the ports system that would allow
| > automatic extraction of both, please throw that cluestick at me :-)
|
| I'd like to look.  I think Greg too :)

  While I've not dealt with updating pkg-plist (in fact, I'll have
to go RTFM to create/modify that file) the ports directory
that I built from on the 4.7-stable machine is at:

  http://rcfile.org/~brent/jdk14/jdk14-bsd/

  Makefile and distinfo assume presence of a zipped version of the
patchset, and the *-for-tgz pieces use the tarball patchset.  I'll
try to build with WITHOUT_PLUGIN to see if I can get the pkg-plist
in a state where it can be used to build a package.

cheers.
  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman