Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 22:04:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Docs Team <FreeBSD-Doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Doc projects and status

Well, hope I'm not being redundant with discussions already had,
but being less than technically expert, I need all the help I can
get. Let me spill a little of my own learning experience with
FreeBSD.

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Studded wrote:

<snip...>
> 1. Initiate discussion about the format for the final form of the docs.
> I'd like to see a unified document (FAQ + Handbook + Tutorials + new
> material) with a consistent style and extensive cross-indexing. I'd also
> like to see a front end for this that takes the form of a "How Do I?"
> index. That's just my view, but I think there's general consensus on the
> first bit anyway.

A unified format can be vital. What I have done here is to place all
documentation (as far as practical) into a directory tree and in HTML
format. I run apache and then run htDig on it all. I also have run
htDig on www.freebsd.org. (It should be more restricted than that - it
ran for hours.;-)) Then provided a page that points to the documents'
tables of contents, to the "search" engine, or out to the internet.

It is crude but it has the advantage of providing a single entry from
all systems on the LAN. The documentation covers not only my system,
but the current information at freebsd.org and the two are distinct.
I do not have to peck through a lot of stuff to get to what I want. It has
been _very_ helpful.

> 2. Go through what we have with a fine-toothed comb prior to the docbook
> conversion so that what's on the page now is as accurate and timely as
> possible. This should be an ongoing "mid-term" goal that just about
<snip..>

It is never ending as is the evolution of the OS itself. This will
end up being a process rather than a product.

Just thought I'd toss in my two cents about what I found useful.

John