Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 04:26:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPPoE and troubles with TCP

Hello

I have Alcatel Speedtouch Home ADSL modem. I use PPPoE protocol for
connection with my Internet Service Provider (ISP) through this ADSL
modem. I use FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE and ppp (a.k.a. user-ppp) for this. In
the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file I have ' set MRU 1492' and ' set MTU 1492'
options. This is because the maximum MTU one can use with PPPoE is 1492
according to RFC 2516. I have no problems with "dialing" to my ISP. But
after the PPPoE connection is established I have troubles with TCP
connections to some hosts. For example I can't go to
hhtp://www.ssh.com/  but to http://www.freebsd.org/ or
http://www.gnu.org/ I can. If I run 'telnet www.ssh.com 80' and enter
HTTP request according to HTTP 1.1 or 1.0 protocol I don't get any
answer. If I enter just 'GET /' I get some short answer. 'GET /' is an
HTTP request according to the old HTTP 0.9 version of the protocol and
it is rarely used today. But the problem is not HTTP, I think. If I do
HTTP request according to HTTP 1.1 from my friends' computer I do have
some long answer. Furthermore if I change the MRU and MTU to 1484 or
smaller I have no problem with www.ssh.com. So it looks like TCP packet
overflow or something like that.
Besides FreeBSD I have Windows 98 Second Edition in my computer. I use
PPPoE with Win98SE too. I use RASPPPOE driver fo it, go to
http://www.raspppoe.com/  for more information. I have no problems with
www.ssh.com when I use Win98SE with this impimentation of PPPoE
protocol. I have MTU == 1492 set by default in RASPPPOE. I don't get
error messages about fragmentation when I run 'ping -f -l 1464
www.ssh.com' in my Win98SE (ICMP+IP=1464+28=1492). Why in FreeBSD I
cannot use MTU == 1492 without problems with some hosts like
www.ssh.com ? How to fix it in FreeBSD?

P.S. ping have different syntax in Windows, so don't be wondered about
-f flag. -f sets "no fragmentation" flag in IP headers of all outgoing packets.