Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:08:57 -0500
From:      Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CUPS dependency in KDE packages

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:57:21 -0500
"Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 January 2002 10:19 pm, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
> > I don't like the way that KDE drags in CUPS.
> >
> > I don't know anything about CUPS except that I can't print if it's
enabled,> > and frankly I don't care to have to learn anything about CUPS
just to use> > KDE.

> > (If I try to print with CUPS enabled as a regular user it claims that
the> > queue can't be found.  Works as root, though as it turns out that's
> > probably not a permissions problem but rather the fact that my root
has a> > different path set up.)

> > I just did a pkg_delete -f of CUPS and now I can print again (yay!),
but> > it's a pretty ugly thing to have to do and it took me quite a while
to> > figure out that that was the solution to my problem.

> > Could this be made into one of those optional --WITH things?
> >
> > Is there any way to make things like that optional when installing
from> > packages?

> > This may be more of a generalized problem with the whole
ports/packages> > design, and I understand that it's a little complex, but
I hope that a> > solution will be thought of.

> Actually, in giving the matter some more thought perhaps the best
solution > would be if the CUPS dependency could be left in the KDE2
packages but the > CUPS port could be set up such that if CUPS has never
been configured but lpr > has (/etc/printcap has been touched, maybe?),
then CUPS would just "pass > through" the commands to their /usr/bin
equivalents.>
> This might not be difficult for my situation, though--I was initially
> installing these as packages off the 4.4 install disks (my hard drive
went > bad so I had to re-stage my system).  Things seemed to be ok when I
installed > from ports rather than packages, so perhaps the ports have
these smarts built > in already.

<rant>
 What's the big deal with CUPS anyway? Why does it have to be a part of
KDE at all! If there is a port for CUPS then those who need it know where
to get it, those who don't need (want) it shouldn't have it rammed down
their throats. It seems like someone has a vested interest keeping
KDE+CUPS and making the ports system jump through hoops to make it
work.</rant>

--
 I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it
"Thursday." Go figure.