Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:00:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Troy Settle <st@i-plus.net>
Cc:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@venux.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Recommendations for an IMAP server?

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Troy Settle wrote:

> Having run uw-imap for the past several months, I'd reccomend against it.
> It's slow and unresponsive at times, and the accompanying popper just plain
> sucks.
>
> When people talk about Cyrus, they say good things about the imap
> implementation, but I've never heard anyone praising the popper portion of
> the package.  Can anyone shed some light?

It just works, thats probably why nobody talks about it.  I have been
using Cyrus for about 250 accounts for a couple of years with a mix of
both IMAP and POP3 clients (moving towards 100% IMAP) without any
problems whatsoever.  The commandline interface for managing the
mailboxes mostly sucks, but there is nothing keeping you from writing
your own easily.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   Your mouse has moved.  Windows must be restarted for the change
   to take effect.   Reboot now?  [ OK ]