Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2020 01:13:31 -0800
From:      Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: adding some smartness in file cache

Consider modifying your linear scan programs to use posix_fadvise(2)
POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED and/or POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE.

You're right that we could be a bit more clever than straight LRU for
eviction (if we are not already), such as incorporating some hybrid
scoring using MRU/LFU/RR-like eviction policies.  Your proposal is an
extremely specific MRU heuristic.