Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:24:28 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blocked domains getting through junkbuster with https: ?

in message <200202262217.g1QMHcu04195@fac13.ds.psu.edu>,
wrote dochawk@psu.edu thusly...

> parv provided,
> > in message <200202261749.g1QHn8u01822@fac13.ds.psu.edu>,
> > wrote Richard E. Hawkins thusly...
>
> > > Should this be happening?  doubleclick of all places is
> > > managing to throw blinking images at me, after having them
> > > blocked for years.
>
> > this may sound stupid, but are you sure that proxy was being
> > used when the doubleclick.net link passed?
>
> yep; checked that.  I have open windows side by side at the
> moment; one has three blocked ads dislplaying Internet JUNKBUSTER,
> while the other, www.itn.net, has the doubleclick ad:
>
> https://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/amex.adoutlet/getthere;pos=top;sz=468X60;tile=1;ord=44314090190099576?

i just checked it; it's working.  make sure that you specify proxy
for both plain http and https (netscape 4.79 has the latter as
"secure proxy") connections.  and, of course, doubleclick link goes
thru' if i unset the "secure proxy" value.

though the junkbuster faq...

http://www.junkbusters.com/ht/en/ijbfaq.html

...in section "security", suggests...

  adding the line :443 to the blockfile to stop all but sites
  specified in an exception after that line from using SSL.

...and later somewhere...

  If you wish to block all ports except the default HTTP port 80, you
  can put the lines
    :
    ~:80
  at the beginning of the blockfile, but be
  aware that some servers run on non-default ports (e.g. 8080). You
  might also want to add the line ~:443 to allow SSL.

...i do not have like that (as i wasn't aware until now), but i
do have specified proxy for plain & secure/ssl http connections.

  - parv