Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:39:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        glenn@ircache.net (Glenn Chisholm)
Cc:        ragnar@sysabend.org, louie@TransSys.COM, yurtesen@ispro.net.tr, billf@jade.chc-chimes.com, mannsber@starmedia.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (2) hey

> > So everyone is supposed to lower their standards to accomodate idiots?  I
> > don't think so.
>
> I think that you missed my point. My point was that when the Internet is
> populated with a group of people who were involved with the standards
> maintenance of high standards is easy. They are extreamly unlikely to
> violate their own standards. However once there are a number of people who
> have little or no idea what the actual standards are some degree of
> enforcement will be required.

This discussion is irrelevant.  The DNS and iDNS working groups
of the IETF have already discussed the use of binary characters
in domain names.  RFC 1036 has been clarified.  The reason for
the restricted alphabet is legacy applications; the DNS itself is
capable of handling binary data.

The only remaining issue is one of character set unification; the
general consensus is 16 bit Unicode, with an 0xFFFE prefix to
indicate Unicode 16 bit tuples will follow (network byte order);
the sole dissentor is Matsataka Ohta, which is expected, since
the Japanese hate Unicode for not having started with JIS 208 so
that they could use the ordinal value of their characters for
collation (a natural result of Chinese dictionary order being able
to classify Japanese characters, but Japanese order being unable
to classify Chinese characters).

Forget the fact that there is no longer a valid central hosts.txt
file, or that it is named /etc/hosts on most machines.

It seems natural (to me) that /etc/hosts will become a Unicode
content file, to match the iDNS.

For legacy applications that specify a restricted alphabet (e.g.
RFC 822 and RFC 821 -- SMTP based email), see the draft on UTF-5,
which can be applied at the resolver level for legacy applications.

If you wish to participate in the discussion, you need to subscribe
to namedroppers (the DNS working group mailing list) or the iDNS
working group mailing list (idns-list@idns.org).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---