Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 14:36:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6 & PPro specific instructions

On Thu, 21 May 1998 at 12:00:47 +0800, Stephen Hocking-Seni wrote:

> I'm a little unclear on this - my K6 reports itself as a 586 class CPU under
> FreeBSD, but I was wondering if it implemented some of the PPro specific
> instructions/features.

I haven't investigated.

> I'm quite happy with it - it's a K6-233, does a make buildworld in 1hr 20m
> (NOTCL, but with profiled libs, /usr/src mounted noatime, /usr/obj async,
> 48Mb, 512k cache, 2 SCSI drives hanging off an NCR-875). My old CPU (P5-120)
> did a make world in 3hrs.
>
> Oddly enough, where I used to have occasional hangs and crashes (which seemed
> hardware related, for a long time I was blaming the memory) it's now solid as
> a rock.

I have a K6/233 as well.  I had a lot of difficulty of this nature
when I first got it.  I did some temperature measurements and found
that the problems were related to overheating (when the processor
surface reached about 63°).  Finally I got a large enough fan, and the
problems went away.

Greg