Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 08:17:33 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2R real slow with 8 meg

As dennis wrote:

> >Your experience is surprising.  A friend of mine recently changed to
> >3.0-some-time-ago-almost-2.2, from a 2.1R system.  He reported me that
> >the system now feels faster, this is with 8 MB RAM and X11.

> Hmmm...is more swap required, or maybe the generic kernel has
> more pithy settings than before...I haven't really examined it yet?
>
> Maybe its the IDE driver?

Ah, that might be the culprit.  No, not really the driver, but it's
quite possible that 2.2 is more aggressively paging than 2.1 did.
With a PIO-only disk subsystem, it's imaginable that this results in a
loss of performance.  With a decent (busmaster DMA) disk subsystem, it
results in a gain of performance however since there's always RAM
available when needed.

--
cheers, J"org