Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 23:41:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        st9523b7@pilot.stu.cowan.edu.au (Gavin Forrest)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Netscape

> Hello,
>       I hope you can give me some details regarding the folowing queries.
> I am currently assessing several Unix O/S packages and will be trialing
> FreeBSD in anticipation of shifting to BSDI.
That's an interesting start..
what will BSDI give you that FreeBSD doesn't?
(there are a few things but I'm curious whether those things are what
you are looking for)

> I wondered if you could tell
> me please, if Netscape will run on FreeBSD.
Yes
FreeBSD can run BSDI1.x Binaries. so just get the BSDI version off the net..
plus there are many other www browsers available.

> This is primarily as I am
> hoping to run this in conjunction with a our trials. I am aware that
> Mosaic Daemons ship with BSDI.
ditto, and there are many other HTTP daemons available too.
see the 'packages' collection for abut 200 ported applications for FreeBSD.

you can also run some  SCO and Linux apps directly

> I am also curious as to how many users
> FreeBSD is configured to allow. Does the measurement of what constitutes
> a user fit in with that used for BSDI. I am interested in particular
> with the assesment of HTTPD sessions.

how much does each user wish to do?
I wouldn't do more than 20 or 30 simultaneous users
if they are doing edits and compiles..
if it's just ftp or http serving, then
300 simultanious sessions is a fair limit..
(depending on lots of other things..)
I'm sure Brian will tell you about his experience...

>       I am also curious as to what is seen as the inherent strenghts of
> FreeBSD and BSDI. Obviously most O/S systems proclaim to have some
> strenght that sets them apart from the rest. Does either of these
> packages have a significant feature, apart from their availabiltiy and
> affordability etc.

BSDI costs money
FreeBSD doesn't
you pay extra for BSDI sources
FreeBSD sources come with it..
FreeBSD has better disk IO
BSDI can sell you a service contract
freebsd, you have to find your own expert..
BSDI has slightly better support of things such as synchronous IO

what do you want to DO with it?