Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2017 14:28:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      DTD <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to repair a package

On Tue, 5 Sep 2017, Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM, DTD <doug@safeport.com> wrote:
>       Between shutdown and reboot starting xdm gets:
>          Shared object "libXmu.so.6" not found, required by "xdm"
>       and starting startxfce4:
>          Shared object "libX11.so.6" not found, required by "xinit"
>
>       libX11.so.6 is a module in libXScrnSaver. So after seeing if I could find
>       libX11.so.6 on another system and not finding an option in "pkg delete" that would
>       delete only libXScrnSaver and not the 40 other related packages I tried "pkg fetch"
>       and "pkg install -f" on the txz file. That gets a Segmentation fault.
>
>       Do I have any options other than starting over?
>

> Are you mixing ports and packages?  It's best to avoid that if you aren't familiar with the
> complexities.
>
> Try a pkg update -y

Thanks, been using FreeBSD as a workstation since 3.5. All packages except for a
few python ones. Clearly this does not matter. "pkg update -y" is almost
guaranteed to hose the system because of the mozilla interlocking dependencies
with xfce, gimp and the like. I will try that eventually but I was hoping for a
smaller hammer.

To the powers that be, an option on delete that says do only the single one
would be really cool. That said, this is a fairly old system. Disks have been
known to fail with these symptoms, but I can not find any evidence of this so
far.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com