Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:11:55 +0200
From:      "Calum Buchanan" <Calum.Buchanan@pgs.com>
To:        <danci@agenda.si>, <aic7xxx@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE:AIC7xxx problem on Intel C440GX+ motherboard

Hello

You have probably tried this, but I had a problem with the aic7xxx =
module while using an AHA2944 card to connect to an IBM3590 tape drive, =
The machine was hanging around 50% of the time when trying to load =
aic7xxx, even when it did load it could not see the Tape drive, even =
though it had been seen during the BIOS stage.

I went for the aic7xxx_old module, which comes bundled with RH, I just =
changed the /etc/modules.conf to point to aic7xxx_old and remade the =
boot image.

It may not be related, but from what I read is that aic7xxx_old performs =
a lot better with older hardware, hence the name I suppose.

I did come across someone who said there was an error in the source for =
the aic7xxx, but unfortunatley I cant find or remember the site.

Cheers

Hello, all!

I need to install RH AS2.1 on a server with Intel C440GX+ motherboard.
It's one of the older Xeon motherboards with on-board Adaptec controller
(AIC-7896).

Installation of the RH AS2.1 required use of 'noprobe apic' options and
then manually loading the aic7xxx driver. Anything other than that
resulted in 'SCSI aborting command due to timeout' messages and
non-responsive SCSI subsystem.

However, booting the installed system always comes to those messages and
SCSI disks are not accessible.

That's why I installed RH AS2.1 on an IDE disk with no SCSI support. I
downloaded the new aic7xxx driver from
http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/.

Unfortunately, even this driver doesn't work. Here is what I get in
/var/log/messages: