Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:24:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Woodchuck"  <djv@bedford.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        josh2@marvin.albury.net.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpd - 8192K ??? From pagkage.

Doug White wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Josh wrote:
>
> > Why oh why does tcpd end up from a package install as
> > 8192 bytes. AND it doesnt work! If I compile my own it
> > ends up around 19xxx bytes. Even after a strip its 16xxx
> > or so. This is on a 2.2.7 system and has been the same for
> > 2.2.5 and 2.2.6.
> > WHY IS THIS?
>
> Try building the port, it sounds like the package is busted.

Everything is OK, as far as I can tell, using freshly downloaded
tar.gz.

Building from the port makes the 8192 byte executable, which is
what is in the 2.2.6 package.

If one builds directly from the tar file (i.e. no FreeBSD patches),
just setting REAL_DAEMON_DIR in the tar's makefile, one gets the
19xxx --> strip --> 16xxx executable.

The difference is that in the package/port case, the executable is
dynamically linked to a 'new' library, libwrap.so.XX, whereas in
the "straight from tar" build, the shared library is neither built,
nor installed.  (In the latter case, the executable is still
dynamically linked against libc.so.XX).  A completely static
executable is >210KB.

The port/package includes several other "important" (they look
important :) other patches, so I would recommend sticking with it,
or at least carefully perusing the patches before preferring the
"raw" version.

Dave
--
       Will hack for cabbages!  Every day is Groundhog Day!