Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:32:08 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jeff Penn <jeff@jrpenn.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timezone on freebsd/debian system

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 04:23:32PM +0100, Jeff Penn wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD on a new system back in January.  When promped to set
> UTC during the install I answered no, and set the timezone to London.
>
> In March my system did not forward the system clock by 1 hour, although
> date shows the timezone as BST.
>
> I recently installed Debian Woody on the system and set the timesone to
> London.  The date also displays BST, but is 1 hour ahead.  I also installed
> freedos recently, but did not notice if the time was correct.

adjkerntz(8) should handle keeping the CMOS clock showing the local
wall-clock time.  There should be a file /etc/wall_cmos_clock which
tells the system that the CMOS clock isn't running UTC.

There should be /etc/crontab entries to invoke adjkerntz in the small
hours so that it will pick up on Summer -- Winter time changes:

    # time zone change adjustment for wall cmos clock,
    # does nothing, if you have UTC cmos clock.
    # See adjkerntz(8) for details.
    1,31    0-5     *       *       *       root    adjkerntz -a

Otherwise, adjkerntz(8) gets run on system startup and shutdown.
Debian should have a similar mechanism, but I can't remember exactly
what it is at the moment.

Mind you, seeing as you're in London UTC will be close enough at least
half the year.  If you're mostly running Unixoid OSes I'd say set the
system clock to UTC the way Unix and Linux expects it, and live with
the clock being an hour out when you boot into a Microsoft OS during
the summer time.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK