Date:      Thu, 10 May 2012 10:16:47 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCEngines alix.6 with dual SIM

On 5/10/2012 2:00 AM, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> hi all,
> I removed the line I added to urg.c, then kldloaded u3g, and voila:
> ugen0.2: <AirCard Sierra Wireless, Incorporated> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
>
> Mike, which minipci cards do you recomend?
> thanks all,
> 	danny
> ps: now the fun begins - coding

Hi,
	The Sierra ones seem to work ok, but I have used Ovation units in the
past as well. I dont know much behind the technology, but I get the
sense that some cards will work better with some carriers than others.
So if your local carrier / telco sells Ovation units, get those. If they
sell Sierra, get those.   Obviously, supported frequency is a big thing,
but generally they just work.  The nice thing about the Sierra ones is
they provide a bit more diagnostic info.  Signal strength etc.

One small challenge I often run into is that the manufactures will make
new versions of the devices and their USB ids will change. Even though
the model# is the same, they present differently.  Oh, and serial ports
too.  Some units will be cuaU0.0 others might be cuaU0.3.  There doesnt
seem to be any rhyme or reason sometimes....

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400