Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 21:50:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
Subject:   Re: MD5 --> DES ?

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Omachonu Ogali wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Ken Bolingbroke wrote:
>
> > So my question is, how do I create DES encrypted passwords from Perl?  I
> > tried compiling a new perl binary pointing at libdescrypt, but somehow
> > crypt() still uses MD5.
>
> Your problem maybe that libcrypt was statically linked to the Perl binary,
> in that case you will have to recompile and link to the new libcrypt
> (libdescrypt) library.

Well yes, I already tried doing that, as I noted in my first message.  I
downloaded the latest Perl source from CPAN, configured it, then went into
config.sh and changed all the crypt references to descrypt.  And yes,
/usr/lib/libdescrypt* exists, after I built them from sources.  Then I
compile and test the new binary and it still makes MD5 passwords...

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com