Date:      20 Feb 1999 02:29:36 +0100
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@bitmailer.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very Common Question

"^'*'^" <supervoc@wingdriver.com.au> writes:

> On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 root@isis.dynip.com wrote:
>
> that "unix" alternatives even exist.  if someone is tempted enough to try
> out Linux then chances are they will hear about FreeBSD sooner or later.

I guess I'm one of these guys.  I started with linux, and at the
office now use SunOS, Solaris, and AIX for various applications.  Now
I'm looking at FreeBSD, although I bought 2.2.5 release which I never
really tried out.

> ...and curiousity is a wonderful thing.  I'd wager that a high percentage
> of people who have tried FreeBSD or Linux have also gone on and tried the
> other, just to see for themselves what each system is like.  Linux
> popularity can therefore effectively be beneficial for FreeBSD when you
> really think about it.

I've also ordered 3.1-release which I hope will arrive soon.  People
say FreeBSD is better, others say FreeBSD misses a lot of things, and
certainly linux does seem to have a head-start and a bigger user base.
It also has an advantage of competing distributions, even if this can
confuse people initially.

I'm not too sure of the licensing situation with FreeBSD, although
from the comments I think it's not GPL.  this may be an issue for some
people: I'm not sure.

RedHat have a lot of good things going for them, but I think what has
made them money is rpm (their package manager), also now being used by
SuSE, and Caldera.  The facilities for managing packages are very
good, including upgrading while running (I've upgraded libc with no
trouble this way), and of course the upgrade from one release to a
later one.  The advantage of doing this shouldn't be underestimated.

I don't know how FreeBSD fares, but it certainly _seems_ to have a
simpler system for managing packages.  With any OS going through
constant change, it's easier to install or upgrade a binary package
rather than build your own, though there are merits in doing both
things.  On production machines this is even more so.  This "package"
thing is a big plus and while rpm has some shortfalls (I think) it and
debian deb packages seem to take the pain out of maintaining a system.

If you are at the bleeding edge you probably don't want packages, but
many other people do, and few people are bleeding edge in everything
they do.

I look forward to playing with FreeBSD and certainly hope that the 2
camps (linux and FreeBSD) help each other, thus saving time, and that
both learn from their competitors.  Both systems will improve and I
wouldn't be surprised if both compete for some time.  This is good for
unix generally, and while linux may not be "officially unix": if it
looks, feels and behaves like unix, I think you might as well call it
unix too.

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd, Madrid SPAIN  Tel: +34-91-559 2854  email: sjmudd@bitmailer.net